Private College and University Registration
Information for 2013-2014
- The state of Idaho requires all Postsecondary Educational Institutions that maintain a presence in the state of Idaho or operate from a location within the state of Idaho to register with the State Board of Education annually.
- Definition of Idaho presence (subsection 200.03)
- Section 33-2401, Idaho Code and Idaho Administrative Rule 08.01.11, define a Postsecondary Educational Institutions as a degree-granting school. If your school grants even one (1) college-level degree you must register. If your school does not grant degrees, you must register as a Proprietary School.
- Accreditation recognized by the USDE. (An unaccredited school must register as a Proprietary School.) The State Board of Education does not accredit, sanction, certify or approve any specific course or program of instruction.
- There is no Surety Bond requirement for accredited Postsecondary Educational Institutions.
Institutions offering courses or courses of study which require clinical, practicum or internship components must provide students in writing information regarding the number of clinical, practicum or internship positions available and the location of said positions.
If a school must close before current students have completed their courses/programs, school officials must immediately notify the Office of the State Board of Education, arrange for current students to transfer and complete their programs or directly refund 100% of previously paid tuition for the coursework and/or programs that can no longer be completed. The school must also publish a media notice of where, when and how current and former students may obtain their records and transcripts for a period of 45 work days.